Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society
What do Those Abbreviations Mean?
- a.a.s. (Anno aetitis suae) means died in the year of his/her age (i.e. 86 years old)
- d.s.p. (Decessit sine prole) means died without issue
- d.s.p.l. (Decessit sine prole mascula supersita) means died without legitimate issue
- d.s.p.s. (Decessit prole supersita) means died without surviving issue
- d.unm means died unmarried
- d.v.p. (decessit vita patris) means died in the lifetime of his father
- d.v.m. (Decessit vita matris) means died in the lifetime of his mother
- et al (et alia) means and others
- inst (instans) means present month
- liber means book or volume
- nepos means grandson
- nunc means nuncupative will, and oral will, written by a witness
- ob (obit)
- he/she died Relict (relicta/relictus) means widow or widower
- sic means so or thus, exact copy as written
- Testes means Witnesses
- utl (ultimo) means late
- ux or vs (uxor) means wife
- viz (videlicet) means namely
Southeastern Colorado Genealogical Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 1407
Pueblo, CO 81002
Our monthly meetings are held on the first Saturday of the month with a Genealogical Studies class at 12:30 pm to 2:00 pm
and our Program from 2:00 pm - 3:00 PM
You do not have to be a member to attend - Everyone is welcome.
Call 719-250-5782 for more information or to schedule a ride.